Welcome to our Year 1 Class Page.
In Year One, our Class Teacher is Miss Sellers and our Class Teaching Assistant is Mrs Evans.
On this page, you can find out about the learning that is planned to take place across this term . We work together to ensure the children continue their love for learning across the curriculum within Manor Farm Academy in order for them to achieve their full potential.
This term our topic is:
‘The Great Fire of London’
Literacy and Phonics
During phonics and literacy sessions, we will be learning to –
- Read sounds (graphemes) and understand that there are different ways of spelling the same sound (phoneme).
- Read words accurately and fluently by decoding and blending.
- Check reading makes sense.
- Answer questions based on what they read.
- Predict what might happen in reading.
- Use capital letters, full stops and finger spaces when writing.
- Use a range of conjunctions – and, but.
- Spell accurately using their phonics knowledge.
- Use handwriting lines to accurately form letters.
- Check and edit our own work to ensure it makes sense.
During maths sessions, we will be learning to –
- Count to and across 100, forward and backwards.
- Count in multiples of 2, 5 and 10.
- Count, read and write numbers to 100 in numerals.
- Say what is one more or one less than any number.
- Read and write numbers from 1 to 20 in numerals and words.
- Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than, fewer, most and least.
- Compare, describe and solve practical problems for lengths and heights; mass/weight; capacity and volume; and time.
- Measure and begin to record lengths and heights; mass/weight; capacity and volume.
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts to 20.
- Add and subtract 1-digit and 2-digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition, subtraction and equals signs.
- Solve one-step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using objects and pictorial representations.
- Solve missing number problems. Solve one-step problems involving multiplication and division, by using concrete objects, pictorial representation and arrays.
During science sessions, we will be learning to –
- Identify different materials including wood, metal, glass and plastic.
- Learn about the properties of different materials.
- Sort different materials according to their properties.
- Plan, carry out and evaluate experiments involving materials.
During computing sessions, we will be learning to –
- Use sound recording equipment.
- Save and store sounds on the computer.
- Give instructions to a programmable toy.
- Set an algorithm as a sequence of instructions.
During Religious Education sessions, we will be –
- Learning about Islam and finding out how Muslims show their faith.
- Learning about special times and festivals that Muslims celebrate.
- Learning about the Quran, Allah and Muhammed.
During history sessions, we will be –
- Studying the diary of Samuel Pepys.
- Comparing the past and present day.
- Learning about how the past has influenced the present day.
During geography sessions, we will be –
- Learning how to observe the human and physical features of different places.
- Devising a simple map using symbols.
- Discussing the similarities and differences of places within the UK and wider world.
- Learning how to use a compass and directional language.
Design and Technology
During Design and Technology sessions,we will be –
- Designing and making a healthy meal.
- Preparing food in a hygienic and safe environment.
- Preparing and cooking a Barnet Cake.
- Preparing and making bread knots.
During music sessions, we will be learning to –
- Use instruments to create sound and music.
- Play instruments in different ways.
Physical Education and Healthy Lifestyles
During Physical Education lessons, we will be developing-
- Balance and co-ordination in yoga sessions.
- Passing and receiving ball skills in football sessions.
During Life Sim sessions, we will be learning to –
- Understand the different ways in which we can communicate with others (during a pandemic).
- Manage to prepare ourselves and our belongings within a set time.
- Homework will be shared every Monday on Seesaw. The children can share this with their Class Teacher on Seesaw too.
- Spellings and Times Tables will be tested on Monday, (where appropriate).
We value the support of all parents and carers. If you feel that you can help in any way with the work we are covering, then please let us know or if you would like any further information regarding this term’s learning, please do not hesitate to contact school.
Thank you, Miss Sellers