Welcome to our Year 1 Class Page.
In Year One, our Class Teacher is Miss Sellers and our Class Teaching Assistant is Mrs Evans.
On this page, you can find out about the learning that is planned to take place across this term . We work together to ensure the children continue their love for learning across the curriculum within Manor Farm Academy in order for them to achieve their full potential.
This term our topic is:
During phonics and literacy sessions we will be learning to –
- Read sounds (graphemes) and understand that there are different ways of spelling the same sound (phoneme).
- Read words accurately and fluently by decoding and blending.
- Check reading makes sense.
- Answer questions based on what they read.
- Predict what might happen in reading.
- Use capital letters, full stops and finger spaces when writing.
- Use a range of conjunctions – and, but.
- Spell accurately using their phonics knowledge.
- Use handwriting lines to accurately form letters.
- Check and edit our own work to ensure it makes sense.
During maths sessions we will be learning to –
Number and Calculation
- Count to and across 100, forward and backwards.
- Count in multiples of 2, 5 and 10.
- Count, read and write numbers to 100 in numerals.
- Say what is one more or one less than any number.
- Read and write numbers from 1 to 20 in numerals and words.
- Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than, fewer, most and least.
- Learn how to find fractions of shapes and numbers.
- Learn how to recall multiplication facts from the 2, 5 and 10 times tables.
- Compare, describe and solve practical problems for lengths and heights; mass/weight; capacity and volume; and time.
- Measure and begin to record lengths and heights; mass/weight; capacity and volume.
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts to 20.
- Add and subtract 1-digit and 2-digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition, subtraction and equals signs.
- Solve one-step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using objects and pictorial representations.
- Solve missing number problems. Solve one-step problems involving multiplication and division, by using concrete objects, pictorial representation and arrays.
During science sessions we will be –
- Identify a variety of animals including amphibians, reptiles, fish and mammals.
- Learning about the diets of animals.
- Learning about life cycles.
- Learning about animals habitats.
- During computing sessions we will be learning to –
- Be able to select images from the internet.
- Understand how to be safe online.
- Be able to group images into a yes and no system.
During RE session we will be –
- Learning about objects, symbols and features of Christianity.
- Learning about objects, symbols and features of Islam.
- Comparing the objects, symbols and features and discuss them.
During history sessions we will be –
- Learning about Victorian seaside holiday.
- Comparing the past and present day.
- Learning about how the past has influenced the present day.
During geography sessions we will be –
- Learning how to observe the human and physical features of different places.
- Looking at weather patterns.
- Learning about the impact humans have on the environment.
- Learning about what we can do to help the environment.
Design and Technology
During Design and Technology sessions we will be –
- Learning about lever and slider mechanisms.
- Designing and making a card with a lever and slider mechanism.
- Preparing and making a cucumber sandwich.
- Preparing and making a summer pudding.
During music sessions we will be learning to –
- Use instruments to create sound and music.
- Play instruments in different ways.
During Life Sim sessions we will be learning to –
- Organise ourselves and our belongings within a set time.
- Look after our own mental and physical health.
During PE sessions we will be learning –
- Multi-Sports sessions led by a professional.
- Different traditional English dances such as May Pole dancing, Morris dancing and English Country dancing.
- A May Pole dance.
- About ways to care for our bodies including healthy eating, sleeping and drinking water.
- About ways to help keep our mind healthy.
During Enterprise sessions we will be –
- Learning about the roles within a company.
- Understanding why we carry out market research.
- Creating a business plan and advertising a business.
During Tolerance sessions we will be –
- Learning about how to communicate my feelings.
- Learning about how to respond to others’ feelings.
- Understand who keeps me sake and know how I can share my worries with them.
- Homework will be shared every Monday on Seesaw. The children can share this with their Class Teacher on Seesaw too.
- Spellings and Times Tables will be tested on Monday, (where appropriate).
We value the support of all parents and carers. If you feel that you can help in any way with the work we are covering, then please let us know or if you would like any further information regarding this term’s learning, please do not hesitate to contact school.
Thank you, Miss Sellers